Kinds of hosting services
A hosting solution is associated with keeping and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server managed by a hosting supplier. There are different categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's take a look at these. Doing so, you can elect what you need, based on whether you wish to own a web portal, e-mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution distributed by some web hosts, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only function is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file storage services often include ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a specific amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely false explanation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would divide the workload between separate bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various website hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a sort of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; some firms offer a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you would like to share a huge amount of pictures with mates or associates since the solution is commonly free. You will get a random link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to administering your e-mail address accounts. Some corporations offer webspace hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to keep an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can open email address accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a particular video, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and a few hundred site viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will allow you to possess as many video files as you want without hassling about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to own a website. To a certain degree, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Heartland Web Hosting, for instance, you can see web hosting and dedicated web hosting plans that allow you to have all of the aforementioned services in one place. There may be limitations based on the form of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for specific content only.